About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Friday, May 27, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Pass the chalice mate; this old sea tale is in need of new life. Watching Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides I kept trying to remember what I loved about the first one. Back then everything was new, fresh and mystical fun, but Pirates of the Caribbean 4 has become stale, tired, and over blown. This version has added some new characters and has them searching for the fountain of youth. But not once was I carried away by the action. I actually found this film quite dull.
 
Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow is still a fun character, but he’s best on the sidelines making snide remarks, ridiculing romance, and behaving in a supercilious manner. We love him best when he is mocking authority yet insisting on his own as captain. We also love him walking that tightrope between good and evil never quite knowing on which side he’ll land. But as the focal point in this film, Jack Sparrow is too much of a good thing. Especially when they try to make him the moral compass and give him a romantic foil in Penelope Cruz. Jack Sparrow is a blackguard and too self-involved for romance. And Penelope’s interpretation of a pirate queen was not sultry enough to invite it.
 
Ian McShane was born to play a pirate and I relished his evil sneer and menacing scowl, but every time he got whipped up into a murderous rage, he was pulled back and put in a position of compromise. I understand that his daughter was trying to save his soul and he was acting in deference to her, but come on. We never got to enjoy him in his blackest form. He is supposed to be beyond redemption, kind of like Captain Jack. I wanted to see him chew the scenery.
 
Each sequel has tried to capture the magic of the original and each one has left us wanting. Not one director has gotten the recipe right. They each promise us that they’ve worked it out; that this one will be the best one yet, but then we see it and go home disappointed. Maybe like Fast Five they’ll finally figure it out on the fifth one, but I for one am losing hope. I spent the entire movie asking myself why I wasn’t having a good time and I resented it even more because I paid full price. Overall I found Pirates 4 a big let down, you’ll really need to step it up to get me back again.
 
Rating: Second Run You will enjoy it most at a discount theatre

No comments:

Post a Comment