About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Friday, June 10, 2011

The Hangover Part II

“Honey, we’ve done it again.” Phil has just woken up from a blackout on the floor of a seedy Bangkok hotel. He, Alan, and Stu have no idea where they are or how they got there. As Phil (Bradley Cooper) begs his wife to cover for Stu (Ed Helms) and Alan (Zach Galifianakis) until they can gain their bearings and find their way home he adds, “This time it’s worse, much worse.”
 
In 2009 when the original Hangover came out it was a surprise hit that became one of the highest grossing films of the year. The tagline read, “Some people just can’t handle Vegas.” And the country fell in love with a schoolteacher, dentist and a funny little bearded man that carried around a baby named Carlos. The film was shocking, vulgar, crude and for most people, hilarious. But then they announced that they were making a second film and the news was received in two different ways, “Yes!!!!” or “No, they are going to ruin it.” I was amazed that they were trying to do a sequel at all.
 
Since the first film’s success relied on surprise, shock and an unusual storytelling technique, the sequel had to be very creative not to let their fans down. I couldn’t imagine how they were going to maintain the element of surprise since we are all aware of the premise by now. Yet, in The Hangover Part II, I believe they did. The Hangover Part II is just as crude, tawdry and shocking as the first film and I for one was pretty impressed.
 
Now in general, I don’t go for this type of humor. Many of the elements in this film were too vulgar for my sensibilities. On the other hand I find these characters very appealing and this bothers me. I’ve put a lot of thought into this; how can I be attracted to three men who are completely reprehensible and morally bankrupt? But I think I figured it out. We still love them because like us, they are just as disgusted and disturbed by their behavior as we are. These are guys, average guys, but when under the influence of illicit drugs, demons are released and things get screwed up. So this is really a cautionary tale, a warning to all that moderation is the key. That is unless you’re talking about comedy, and then more is better.

Ken Jeong reprises his role as Mr. Chow and he is just as outrageous as ever. Also, I think that it is funny that the fourth member of The Wolfpack (Justin Bartha) still gets left out of all the action. Not a very lucky break for the actor, but in the context of the movie it is very amusing. In addition, this time around Mason Lee is introduced into the gang as Stu’s future brother-in-law Teddy. Teddy plays a key role in the plot of this film which adds a new element of danger.

Speaking of danger, Paul Giamatti is in this film. And when you add in his character with the underworld elements, anything can happen including a monkey, a priest and a mountain of blow. This is not a film for the kiddies, but if you like your comedy with edge and your humor blue, this film delivers big. This is not P.F. Chang’s man this is the real deal. Just don’t lose yourself to Bangkok.
 
Rating: First Run This time it’s worse, much worse

No comments:

Post a Comment