About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Monday, October 10, 2011

Take Shelter

Watching Take Shelter I was transfixed to the screen from beginning to the end. Like a storm in the distance I felt the pressure build, the tingling of electricity and the dread of something coming. Something big, oppressive and life changing. Such is the state of Curtis played by Michael Shannon, a loving father, husband and hard working man who has been plagued with nightmares and hallucinations. Having his mother taken from him at age ten and committed for schizophrenia, Curtis fears that he may be following in her footsteps. But what if a storm really is coming and what if he is right? He must protect his family and prepare.

Unsure if what he is seeing is prophetic or the first signs of mental illness Curtis starts expanding their storm shelter at home. Meanwhile as the dreams and visions increase, Curtis begins having trouble concealing his anxiety. Afraid that he is going nuts he hides his motives from his family. But something is clearly bothering him. His friends notice, his wife is concerned and everyone asks, “Are you alright?”

Michael Shannon gives such a fascinating performance that I couldn’t take my eyes off of him. Paired with Jessica Chastain as his wife the two of them give us a loving couple that are not immune to marriage difficulties, but strong enough to stand up against them. Their daughter is deaf and while they struggle with doctors, financial problems and learning how to communicate with their little girl, Samantha is still paying attention and sees that something is going on.

Set in Ohio with a cast of naturalistic actors, this film recreates the experience of small town gossip. Have you heard about Curtis? What’s going on with him? Have you seen what he’s doing? The film is so intimate that you feel like part of the community. The movie has the atmosphere of a horror movie, but keeps you guessing like a mystery. I’ve never looked so forward to the conclusion of a movie while still not wanting it to end. I was loving the mood, shape and color that gave a tactual sense to this story while savoring the superior acting at the same time. Kathy Baker has a wonderful scene as Curtis’ mom unable to reassure her son. She wants to tell him he’ll be alright but she just doesn’t know. And that is the beauty of this film, is he crazy or not?

It has been a while since I have been so captivated by a movie. I believe it is excellent on so many levels. If Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastian are not remembered at awards time I’ll be very disappointed. In addition Jeff Nichols is now on my radar. As the writer and director of this film he shows much skill. I look forward to seeing what this young filmmaker does next.

Rating: Must See An electric experience

No comments:

Post a Comment