About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Leap Year

When a young girl grows up with an Irish-American father who possesses a healthy helping of the Blarney and is constantly letting her down, she may gravitate to men who are stable, dependable, and practical about the world. But when she is also a repressed romantic, it can cause conflict within her very Irish soul.

Amy Adams plays Anna. She stages high-end apartments for a living, filling them with endearing little touches, so prospective buyers will fall in love at first sight. But this is not for practical Anna. She has a cardiac surgeon boyfriend, a chance at one of the most exclusive apartments in Boston, and after four years, she thinks, an engagement ring. But when the little black box turns out to be earrings, Anna takes matters into her own hands and follows her boyfriend (Adam Scott) to Ireland for a medical convention.

According to Anna’s father and Irish tradition, a girl may propose to her man once every four years on February 29th in Leap Year. Anna decides to take charge and get things done, but the universe has other plans. Enter Declan (Matthew Goode), the only taxi driver for miles who is hired to take Anna to Dublin, when the already disastrous trip leads her to a small coastal town. By sheer force of will she has made it this far, but can her determination get her past the brooding Irish charm of Declan? He is suffering from a loss of his own and wants nothing to do with women. But his need to save his pub makes her American cash much more attractive so he agrees to drive her. Will they both be able to make their deadlines? Well, this is a romantic comedy.

Leap Year has some very nice moments, and as far as the chemistry between the stars, I’d give it a B. The trouble is that this film never gets into full gear. Amy Adams has the talent to turn any character into a fully realized woman, but the story runs out of gas. It’s a pleasant ride, full of beautiful scenery, but I never envied her. That’s when you know that a film has got you. When you want to leave the theatre and buy a plane ticket. After this film I just wanted to take a warm shower. With Matthew Goode if he is available.

Rating: Second Run A pedestrian romantic comedy

No comments:

Post a Comment