About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Friday, April 9, 2010

The Last Song

Greg Kinnear is an Oscar nominated actor who is excellent in comedies (Little Miss Sunshine, Stuck On You), great in dramas ( As Good as it Gets) and even performs well in biographies (Flash of Genius, Auto Focus). But even Greg Kinnear couldn’t elevate this film. If it wasn’t for the appealing location, I may have walked out. When you compare Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana) side by side with such a fine actor as Greg Kinnear, it’s makes it worse. I found her two-dimensional acting extremely limited. And I found the young man acting opposite of her (Liam Hemsworth) not much better.

The Last Song tells the story of a dad trying to re-connect with his children over the summer while their mother Kelly Preston (Old Dogs) preps for her upcoming marriage. Bobby Coleman (Martian Child) is eager to spend time with his father, but Miley Cyrus is determined to spend her time punishing him for leaving. She is so pouty and angry that she is hurting herself by being rebellious and refusing to play the piano. A gift that sets her apart from others. Instead, she opens herself up to loser friends and gets arrested for shop lifting. Her hostility is ruining her life and making everyone around her miserable.

This is a Nicholas Sparks screenplay (The Notebook), so you know that there is going to be unopened letters, walks on the beach, and lots of hospital scenes. I wasn’t expecting much from this repeated formula. But my disappointment came in letting Miley Cyrus carry so much of the film when she is clearly not ready. It seemed like scenes were missing and the editing was strange like they were trying hard to find usable takes. Miley may get away with it in a kid’s show on television, but if she wants to be a film actress she needs to expand her emotional range. Her name will sell tickets, but if she wants become a real actress, I suggest she work her way up in smaller roles. Her like-ability will only get her so far.

Rating: Rent It For Miley Cyrus fans only

No comments:

Post a Comment