About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Friday, April 2, 2010

Clash of the Titans

Half man, half god, Sam Worthington; sounds about right. Clash of the Titans is the mythic remake of Ray Harryhausen’s 1981 film of the same name. Loosely based on Greek mythology, Clash of the Titans tells the story of Perseus, the son of Zeus and a mortal woman, who battles various legendary monsters to save the princess Andromeda and the city of Argos. Gone is the stop motion techniques used to perfection by master Ray Harryhausen. Instead we have CGI and the currently popular 3-D format.

Sam Worthingtion (Avatar) makes a convincing hero. There are so many creatures to kill that there’s not a lot of time for character development. But Sam quickly establishes his backstory, and when he has his brief call to arms speech, you’re ready to pick up your sword and follow him anywhere.

Liam Neeson (Taken) uses his voice to great effect as Zeus, and Ralph Fiennes (The Reader) plays his role as Hades, as a jealous bent-over brother trying to wrestle control through lies and manipulation. When the gods fight, humans suffer, and there’s plenty of destruction here. But don’t get too fond of the other characters in this film, this epic adventure has a high body count.

Geema Arterton (The Boat That Rocked) is ethereal as Lo, the demi-god who protects Perseus throughout his life. And Alexa Davalos (Defiance) portrays the noble Andromeda who speaks out against the decadent practices of her class and embraces the plight of the common people, only to have them give her up as a sacrifice to the Kraken sea monster. I won’t go in to the political implications here, but it would make a great paper for a college student.

Clash of the Titans (2010) didn’t wow me like the original did back in 1981, but I enjoyed it all the same. It moves quickly, is full of masculinity, and it was very satisfying as I watched while munching my popcorn. This is truly a “Popcorn Movie” in the fullest sense. Fast paced, plenty of action, and little narrative to slow things down. The special effects support the story, and I especially liked the flying horses. This is a just sit back and enjoy it film. Don’t put too much else into it, relax and let the adventure unfold.

Rating: First Run A Popcorn Movie in the fullest sense

No comments:

Post a Comment