About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Babies

Babies are fascinating and Babies is mesmerizing. For an hour and nineteen minutes you’ll find yourself enthralled. Documentary filmmaker Thomas Balmes (Damages) follows the lives of four children from birth until they are able to walk. The first baby is Ponijao of Namibia, Africa. Next we have Bayar of Mongolia. Then, we have Hattie of San Francisco. And lastly, we have Mari of Tokyo, Japan.

It is so interesting watching the contrast between how these babies are brought up. We see them play, interact with animals, fight with other children and witness them being nurtured and educated by their parents. It is a wonderful thing to see. We have more things in common than we realize.

There is no narrative in this film, nor is there very much dialogue. It is pure observation, much like watching a nature documentary. The beauty in this film is the photography and the masterly way it was edited. I’m sure that finding the pace and the unspoken narrative was the most difficult part. They’ve done an excellent job though and Babies keeps your attention throughout. You’ll find yourself charmed, entertained and filled with affirmation. This really is a lovely film.

Rating: Must See Sure to give you baby fever

No comments:

Post a Comment