About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

City Island

Corrections Officer Vince Rizzo, Andy Garcia (Ocean’s Eleven) has a secret. He’s keeping it from his wife, he’s keeping it from his children, he’s even keeping it from the guys at work. Every Monday night when he says he’s playing poker, he crosses the bridge into Manhattan and takes an acting class. His hidden desire, all his life, is to be an actor.

One night Vince receives an acting assignment from his teacher Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine) and he is given a partner. Their task together is to share their deepest darkest secret and to use their experience to create a monologue. Vince is paired with Emily Mortier (Match Point) and at first he believes that his biggest concealment is his acting classes, but as he gets to know Molly over the week an even bigger secret emerges. The problem now is how to tell his wife.

Back home on City Island, an old fishing community in The Bronx, his wife and children have their secrets too. Julianna Margulies (Snakes on a Plane), Dominik Garcia-Lorido (The Lost City), and Ezra Miller (Afterschool) all have things that they are keeping from each other. But when Vince brings home one of his convicts, Steven Straight ( Stop-Loss) in protective custody to help him finish a home improvement project, all secrets are revealed to hilarious affect. This comedy is sweet, humorous and a lot of fun. It shows how people can be divided when they stop being honest with each other. Sometimes a stranger can give you a fresh look and bring the darkness to light. This film is a secret that must get out.

Rating: First Run This secret comedy must be revealed

No comments:

Post a Comment