About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Last Airbender

 For a 3-Dimensional movie, The Last Airbender was flat and the acting was 2-Dimensional. For the first time in my life, I had to switch my seat three times because the people around me were constantly talking. They were either bored, waiting for the next action scene, or they were trying to explain plot points to their uninitiated companions. It was a very frustrating experience. After finally finding a suitable seat, too close to the screen, I settled down and tried to enjoy the movie. Overall, it did not meet my expectations.

The first thing that I noticed was that M. Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense) cast child actors instead of young martial artists. After watching The Karate Kid, where they were both, this was very disappointing. A child watching the film may not notice, but when I saw them doing their martial arts and they were not steady on their feet, it took me completely out of the film. I experience the same thing when actors portray dancers. Their lack of technique gives them away.

Another element I did not like in the film was the quality of martial arts. It had all the excitement of watching someone do Tai-chi. The movements were slow and lyrical while the magic and power was all created by special effects. It contained no thrill for me. I was completely unimpressed with the fight choreography. We have had so many good martial arts movies lately that defy gravity and take your breathe away. There was no athleticism in the performances. Everything was was too precise and calculated. The magic was left to CGI.

Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire) did his best portraying a banished prince and Noah Ringer did have a certain appeal, but the rest of the cast was stiff and un-engaging. I tried to enjoy the beauty of some of the settings and perhaps get lost in the mythology, but nothing captivated me for long. The pace was strange and the themes were disjointed. I’m not really sure what this film was trying to say.

My friends tell me that the animated series is fantastic. Maybe that would have been a better use of my time. I can only see the very young enjoying this film. For the rest of us, this is a poor representation. The film could have been much better.

Rating: Bargain Matinee Will not hold up to close scrutiny


 

No comments:

Post a Comment