About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Salt

The last time I went to Washington D.C., I visited the newly opened Spy Museum. I’ve never had so much fun in a museum in my life. In the beginning you are given a cover ID and then you have 90 seconds to memorize it. After getting through your first interrogation you are led into a room that allows you to assess and practice your spy skills. Afterwards you are given a history of spying that goes as far back as biblical times. What I learned is that women make very good spies.

One of the reasons that women make good spies is that they are constantly overlooked and underestimated. That same quality is what makes Angelina Jolie (Mr. And Mrs. Smith) such a good action star. When you meet Angelina in person she is very soft-spoken, demure and even shy, but on screen she is capable of extreme intensity. This versatility serves her well as an actress and as an action hero she is quite believable.

Salt is an old-fashioned, traditional spy movie. A Russian operative walks in to the C.I.A. and accuses Evelyn Salt of being a Russian undercover spy. Instead of waiting around to clear her name, she breaks out of the C.I.A. headquarters and leads her colleagues on a furious chase. She claims that she is trying to protect her husband, who is now in danger, but no one knows where her true loyalty lies. When you are dealing with trained liars, the truth can be very elusive.

Liev Schreiber (Defiance) plays Evelyn’s associate. He is trying to protect her while Chiwetel Ejiofor (2010) is ready to just take her out the quickest way possible. According to the Russian spy, the plan is to assassinate the Russian president while he is in New York attending the funeral of the Vice President. Salt must be captured and the assassination must be stopped. This spy verses spy scenario causes plenty of excitement.

When it comes to action films, Angelina Jolie is beautiful to watch, even when she is firing a gun or crashing through a window, you’ll find yourself mesmerized and entranced. But what makes her an even greater action star is that she can act too. Angelina is the total package, and Salt gives her plenty to sink her teeth in to.

From beginning to end, Salt will keep you on the edge of your seat and with such fine actors it will keep you mentally engaged, too. Both Liev Schreiber and Chiwetel Ejiofor are known for their consummate performances and in this film they do not disappoint. But Angelina Jolie is the star and she puts the men through their paces. With an open ended story, we may not have seen the last of Evelyn Salt.

Rating: First Run A traditional spy film with an untraditional star

No comments:

Post a Comment