About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Illusionist

In 2003 I went to see an animated film called The Triplets of Belleville because it was nominated for an Academy Award. I fell in love with this strange little film and even purchased a copy to keep for my own. So this year when Sylvain Chomet’s The Illusionist was released I made sure that I saw it right away. This film however was an entirely different experience.  Whereas The Triplets of Belleville was quirky, funny and had an irresistible musical number, The Illusionist was melancholy, bittersweet and had the feel of a silent movie.
 
The story of The Illusionist centers on a magician who is struggling to survive as Music Halls are closing and people’s homes are being filled with television. After securing a small gig in a pub in Scotland, a young chambermaid becomes infatuated with the magician and believes his magic to be completely real. Feeding his sagging ego, he goes along with this ruse, even transforming her worn out work boots into new red shoes.
 
When the illusionist ends his run at the pub and takes a boat back to London he discovers that the little girl has followed him. Not only that, but she expects him to pay for her ticket by pulling money out of her ear. Not wanting to destroy this young girl’s innocence, he continues the charade and ends up becoming her protector. What she doesn’t know is that after she goes to bed at night he gets up and works another job to earn enough money to feed her.
 
A strange bond forms between the two of them as she points out her heart’s desire in the form of new coats, dresses, etc. and then he makes them magically appear. Not knowing their true cost she doesn’t quite have the appropriate appreciation and keeps asking the poor magician for more. Meanwhile she becomes a surrogate wife for the rag-tag bunch of performers who live in the Show Biz hotel, bringing them meals and keeping the own rooms immaculate.
 
The dialogue in this film is so spare and much of what there is, is gibberish. But this non-verbal atmosphere allows you to concentrate on the beautifully rendered animation and focus on the characters themselves. It is very poetic in nature and will definitely impact you in one way or another. It is too bad that this beautiful film will have to compete with the sentimental favorite, Toy Story 3 for the Oscar. The Illusionist is really a wonderful film and deserves to be honored.

Rating: First Run A beautifully rendered film

No comments:

Post a Comment