About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Rabbit Hole

There is a scene in Rabbit Hole where a series of couples are sitting in a circle participating in a support group for parents who have lost children. Each couple is coping with their loss in their own way. Even within the couples they are dealing with their loss as individuals, in their own way and in their own time. Nicole Kidman (Moulin Rogue), as Becca, has just made a shocking comment and the entire circle is showing disapproval, including her husband. After enduring an uncomfortable silence Becca says, “I want to go. I need to go.”
 
Howie, her husband, Aaron Eckhart (Thank you for Smoking) loves his wife but Becca is becoming difficult to be with. Becca wants to clean house, remove all reminders and move on with her life. Whereas Howie treasures the reminders of his son and feels like she is trying to erase him. The way they grieve is so incompatible and so different that their pain is causing a riff. You wonder if the couple with has the strength to get past this. Is there enough love to keep them together?
 
Nicole Kidman is the focus of this story. Dianne Wiest (Bullets Over Broadway) who plays her mother has also lost a son, yet Becca is incapable of going to her for comfort. She can’t stand going to the support group and even her sister cannot help. Izzy, Tammy Blanchard (Cadillac Records) Becca’s little sister is newly pregnant. Izzy for fear of her sister’s reaction kept it secret, but now that she knows Becca is upset. The truth would have been less painful, now it’s even worse. Becca hates being the subject of pity.
 
Becca eventually finds comfort, but it is from such an unexpected source that when her family discovers it, they are bewildered. Howie even becomes angry. For weeks Becca has been meeting with the teenage boy who was driving the car that killed their son. They sit in the park, talk about their feelings and let each other off the hook. Together they have understanding; together they can share their grief.
 
I procrastinated going to see this film. I don’t enjoy wallowing in sorrow even when it’s in the movies. But I do have to recommend this film based on the performances. Nicole Kidman takes a risk at being a bit unlikable and Aaron Eckhart shows a vulnerability that is seldom seen. Dianne Wiest is sympathetic as the housewife who gets little respect from her daughters and Sandra Oh has a nice supporting role as a mother who can’t seem to let go. Rabbit Hole is a beautifully acted film and if you can handle the subject matter I say go. If you can’t, stay home and hug the kids. Either way, appreciate them. They are never so precious as when they are gone.

Rating: First Run Difficult subject, but excellent performances
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment