About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Friday, February 25, 2011

I Am Number Four

When I initially started watching I Am Number Four I had the impression I was watching a CW teen drama like Kyle XY, Supernatural, or Smallville. With pretty boy Alex Pettyfer and Glee’s Dianna Agron it was easy to make that mistake. But as the story progressed I really started to enjoy this science fiction yarn, especially when Timothy Olyphant showed his face.
 
According to the mythology of this film a group of exceptional children along with their protectors are sent to earth as their own home planet is being destroyed. A unit of Mogadorian hunters has followed them there and are systematically killing them one by one. Changing names, looks and locations frequently these children have grown up on the lam. One, Two and Three have already been killed. Number Four is next in line.
 
It is only now as the survivors are heading towards adulthood that their powers (their legacies) have been manifesting. Not understanding their role in the survival of their species they quickly realize that together they may be more powerful than alone. But Number Four (John) must first survive rural Ohio and the throes of high school love, a difficult task for any teenager.
 
What I like about this film was the way that quiet moments were celebrated without sacrificing any of the action. Being a boy who has always had to move around John not only falls in love with Sarah (Dianna Agron) but her family as well. When things get too hot in Paradise after the Mogadorians track him down, for the first time in his life he is reluctant to leave. It is the first place and the first girl that he could see himself staying with.
 
I enjoyed the romanticized Americana of this fictional town. Dianna Agron is a lovely girl and you could see why a boy would risk his life to be with her. Alex Pettyfer also does an excellent job balancing the emotions of discovering his powers and using them responsibly at the same time. Jealousy, fear, anger and passion all get in the mix. John must learn how to use his abilities and control them without hurting his romantic rival or blowing his cover.  When his cover is blown he makes a friend and ally out of Sam (Callan McAuliffe). Sam’s father went missing searching for extra terrestrials so Sam is elated to finally meet one. It means that his father was not crazy and it also means that all the bullying he’s received over the years was not in vain.
 
After my initial impression that this film was too young for me I ended up really liking it. The special effects are good and even though the story is a mishmash of other sci-fi stories that have come before, it still feels somewhat original. The cast is good and the aliens were really interesting. It was fun watching them trying to blend in. The next time you see a heavily tattooed guy in a hoodie, look a little closer. It might be a Mogadorian.

Rating: First Run Eye Candy for the Sci-Fi fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment