About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sanctum

Adventure film is my favorite genre, so with Sanctum I was ready to dig in and enjoy all the exotic locales and action. But instead I experienced shortness of breath, neck tension, and the over-all feeling of my entire body being clenched. In other words this film hit me too close to home and I was way too caught up in my personal memories to give any objective observations.
 
In my life I have been rock climbing once, I’ve repelled into a cavern, and have gone spelunking several times. I’ve also gone scuba diving once, but not all activities at the same time. Being a novice and inexperienced in all of these I was terrified of making a rookie mistake. I listened carefully, followed directions, but even then I had some mishaps. Luckily none were fatal.
 
When I watched Sanctum and saw some of the characters in harrowing situations, my sense memory was so strong that I was right there with them. The beauty of Sanctum is that the cinematography is extremely realistic. Filmed on location and using underwater cameras and 3-D techniques that James Cameron has developed over the years has allowed director Alister Grierson to get right into every nook and cranny. There is nothing more terrifying than being stuck in a wormhole and knowing that no one else can get to you. The space is so tight that it is all up to you. You either control your fear, work it out, or die.
 
When I had my experience it wasn’t underwater, thank goodness, but it was 410 feet below the earth’s surface. It was late in the afternoon, after dozens of visitors and the oxygen was thin. I had an asthma attack and had to crawl out of a tight spot one-inch and one breath at a time. There was a person stuck behind me and I felt terrible for him. A guide stayed ahead of me to offer encouragement and the rest of the group went topside. When the three of us finally reached the surface it was dark, the gift shop was closed and everyone was waiting for me in the parking lot. I could have died that day, but all I felt was embarrassment for holding the others back and delaying our plans. It is amazing what goes through your mind.
 
My companion sitting next to me in the movie thought that some of the acting was weak and that part of the script was cliché, but I was so caught up in the realism of the movie that I felt it keenly and didn’t notice. When I went rock climbing for the first time, I didn’t have the technique or the upper body strength to hold my position so I fell and slid down the rock face. After three failed attempts I had to take an alternate route with someone coaching me and helping me up the side. Therefore when the characters were struggling in the film I felt every scrape and bruise with them. Parts of the film were very hard for me to watch.
 
I don’t know how much experience the actors have with diving and climbing, but I noticed in the credits that each one had a diving double and a climbing double. The script for the film was based on writer Andrew Wight’s real life experience and director Alister Grierson has a lot of short film credits dealing with caves and underwater footage. That’s how he met James Cameron. Hauling all that equipment to the caves must have been a monumental task let alone caring for the cast and crew. I can’t even imagine the logistics involved. Even craft service would have been a nightmare.
 
As far as the actor’s are concerned that must have been some audition. Not only do they have to act and develop their characters they have to perform all the basics of repelling, diving and rock climbing in the film. None of which are easy. Richard Roxburgh (Moulin Rogue) is a veteran actor, I like to imagine him having a great adventure doing this project, but on the other hand it could have been quite unpleasant. Filming takes a long time and being underground that long must have been tiresome. I hope one day to see a “making of” short. That must have been some undertaking.
 
Sanctum was a stirring experience for me bringing back a lot of fear and anxiety, but for others I think that they’ll find it thrilling and exhilarating. You won’t find any more compelling or realistic footage. James Cameron will long be remembered for the innovations and contributions that he and his collaborations have brought to the world of movie-making. This film is worth seeing for the cinematography alone. If you have one ounce of adventurer spirit in you I think you will like this film. For me, I think I need some counseling. I’m afraid of the dreams I’ll have tonight.

Rating: First Run A film for the adventurer in you

No comments:

Post a Comment