About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Jane Eyre

There are countless interpretations of Jane Eyre; the first silent film was shot in 1915. Yet, it fascinates me how each director picks and chooses what scenes they want to include and what chapters they feel are expendable. With the exception of some television series, each one must trim this epic story to make it fit in theatrical length. Up and coming director Cary Kukunaga chose to shorten Jane’s growing up period and he spent the largest amount of time at Thronwood.
 
What I liked the most about this Jane Eyre was the articulate script by Moira Buffini and the way that the environment became another character. Between the cinematography of Adriano Goldman, and the wonderfully authentic locations, this Jane Eyre had a decidedly Gothic feel and a elegant solitary essence. The light and shadow enhanced the emotional tone of what was happening in the scene and the original score completed the experience.
 
Many young actors have taken on the roles of Jane and Rochester over the years and it’s difficult to make these characters your own especially when so many adaptations have been done. However, Mia Wasikowska has done a fine job with Jane and Michael Fassbinder is sure to break out soon as a major star. But for me the actor that made the biggest impression was Jamie Bell. I loved the nuances he had in his character, upright and pious on one hand, yet smoldering underneath. When his sisters go off and leave him alone with Jane Eyre, there exists an air of danger; will his religious convictions stay his obvious attraction? And when he offers his hand in marriage it is hard to know which side of him is speaking, the kind generous benefactor, or the husbandly tyrant. I really think that Jamie Bell captured this Victorian man beautifully.
 
If I have any complaints about this film is that the romantic element was not as prevalent as other versions. You feel Rochester’s need to connect with Jane, and you feel Jane’s reluctance to open her heart. But when a rival appears Jane’s jealously is so tamped down that she looks like she is in pain instead of heartbroken. I also felt that the attraction-repulsion emotion that Jane feels is too constrained. I would have like to have seen more chinks in her armor and more turmoil within her spiritual self.
 
I don’t know why I’m so attracted to this story; every time a new film or television version comes out I’m the first in line to see it. Yet, sometimes you wish you could take this Jane and pair her with that Rochester and put them in that castle, with those costumes, each film as it’s own strength and weaknesses. In this Jane Eyre the look and feel is just right and what it needs is more romance. But overall, it’s an excellent version.

Rating: First Run Overall, it’s an excellent version.

No comments:

Post a Comment