About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Monday, March 28, 2011

Paul

I think that Shaun of the Dead is brilliant and I loved Hot Fuzz so I went to see Paul full of eager anticipation, but I have to say that I was a little disappointed. The relationship between Pegg and Frost, that we’ve grown to love was reduced to a running Gay joke. Also, there was an underlying bitterness in the film that I’ve never seen in their other work. I was perplexed why they were bashing rednecks and fundamental Christians. I am going to blame the tone on the director Greg Mottola. Their films with Edgar Wright were much more sweeter.
 
Paul tells the story of two British pals who take a dream vacation to visit Comic-Con and then drive cross-country visiting famous alien hot spots. The Comic-Con sequences were kind of fun, but there is so much comedic gold there that you feel cheated when they move on so quickly. When they take to the road their first stop is at Vasquez Rocks and then they head east to Nevada. By the time they reach New Mexico they have met Paul, a true alien who has made a break from Area 51 and is trying to get home.
 
Graeme and Clive react to Paul with shock and disbelief, but when Paul helps Graeme carry his unconscious friend back into the RV, Paul confides in Graeme and he consents to help him. The trick now is to persuade Clive. As far as aliens go, Paul is a bit of a jerk. He smokes, swears, drops trou and is overall very arrogant. But like all road trips, everyone learns to appreciate each other and becomes a little more tolerant by the end.
 
Along the road, the guys are being chased by a man in black (Jason Bateman), two F.B.I. agents, (Bill Hader and Joe Lo Truglio) and the father of a girl they took with them (John Carroll Lynch). The girl, portrayed by Kristin Wiig, has grown up in the middle of nowhere and thinks that Paul is a demon. When Paul releases her from her sheltered religious up bringing by filling her brain with the knowledge of the world, her first act is to take up swearing, a strange choice considering the options.
 
The rest of the film is evading capture and trying to get Paul home, but I feel that this film missed the mark. There is so much comic material that was thrown away to concentrate on car chases and blowing things up. The American road, especially the Southwest is full of bizarre tourist spots and roadside attractions. The film barely touches on those and as far as film references go, there is so much that was left out. If I were doing this film I would have waited a little longer before finding Paul. As funny as Seth Rogen is as the voice of Paul I think the film would have been better with more Frost and Pegg. Nice try, but this film goes on the bottom of my list, it is now my 3rd favorite Frost and Pegg film.

Rating: Bargain Matinee Not my favorite Frost and Pegg film

No comments:

Post a Comment