About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Saturday, August 20, 2011

One Day

Two college graduates meet on July 15 (St. Swithun’s Day) and after a lot of alcohol they spend the night with each other. Emma (Anne Hathaway) is a smart, serious student and Dexter (Jim Sturgess) is a carefree, fun-loving ladies’ man.  After their sexual encounter gets interrupted they part ways as friends but Dexter gets her number first and she reciprocates by writing long, heartfelt and humorous letters. After many years Dexter begins to appreciate her as the one constant in his life and Emma relies on him as the one guy who accepts and loves her for who she is. Together they are better people.

One Day follows Emma and Dexter every July 15th as life brings them together and takes them apart. It sees them through bad jobs, bad relationships, and various successes and detours. For them July 15th is like an anniversary, a reminder of the day they met.

As a romantic drama this film meanders through decades chronicling the life of these two friends. There is no tension as to whether or not they’ll ever sleep with each other, the drama lies in the idea of whether they’ll be able to maintain their relationship as they grow and change as people. This is a thinking man’s romantic drama. It is a character film with a St. Swithun’s Day device. It investigates the nature of love, friendship and personal growth and why we are attracted to people and how they impact us.

I liked this film. I was engaged throughout, but it lacks the highs and lows of most romantic dramas. I can’t say that it is clichĂ© free but it is far from corny. Jim Sturgess is very touching and if you can get past Anne Hathaway’s trendy clothes and dramatic hair choices, her performance is honest too. This is by no means a chick-flick but if I were to see this film again I would enjoy it best curled up on my couch on some rainy morning. According to the legend if it rains on St. Swithun’s Day it will rain for 40 days after and that’s how this film feels, dark, cloudy with patches of sunshine. Watch this film and look for the rainbow.

Rating: Bargain Matinee The perfect film for a rainy day

No comments:

Post a Comment