About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Sarah’s Key

On the fiftieth anniversary of a shameful event in France’s history, a reporter named Julia Jarmond begins to do research for an article on the Vel’ d’Hiv round up of 1942. Through her research Julia (Kristen Scott Thomas) discovers a link to her own life. Her husband’s family home was acquired when the Jewish tenants that lived there were forced out during the war. Guilt stricken, Julia obsesses over the Jewish family and a little girl named Sarah whose name does not appear on the concentration camp death rolls.

Julia’s husband has just inherited the said apartment and she cannot stand to be in it knowing its history. Without revealing to him the cause of her tension she hunts for records, evidence and the fate of little Sarah. She cannot live in that place without knowing the truth and that her in-laws are blameless for what happened to the Starzynski family.

There is so much ground to cover in this film as Julia’s search takes her all over Europe and America. For a while you feel immune to the emotional impact as each secret is revealed. But when you get to the end the commutative effect is like a sucker punch in the stomach. It sneaks up on you. And like Julia you will be forever affected by the mystery behind Sarah’s Key.

Rating: First Run A family mystery reveals itself
 

1 comment:

  1. Mel, I have read about the films you have exposed here. Several were on my 'must see' list but after reading your response, I have eliminated some. I will watch them on DVD. Sarah's Key however, has impressed me as an interesting 'what if' film that I would go out of my way to see. Thank you for your cear synopsis.

    ReplyDelete