About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

An American Affair

Intrigue, political Intrigue, this is the definition of An American Affair. This film is the fictional account of Catherine, a composite of one of JFK’s many mistresses, while serving his term as president. Catherine was being manipulated by the CIA, in order to influence the president, and the decisions he was making about Cuba, and The Bay Of Pigs. Across the street from Catherine lives a sixteen year old boy, who becomes so infatuated with her, that he watches her every move. He insinuates himself into her life, and eventually discovers, her not so secret, affair.

This melancholy film heads directly towards it’s inevitable, tragic end, but you’ll find yourself fascinated along the way. Gretchen Mol is interesting as the nonchalant divorcee, trying to fill the void in her life. Reaching, experimenting, trying to break conventions, her relationship with the young Cameron Bright’s Adam is almost understandable. However, this film doesn’t work for me on all levels. Some of the questions are never answered. Yet, it did keep my interest, and I got a little more insight into what it may have been like to be a family living in Washington, DC during this very interesting, political time.

Rating: Second Run More political intrigue, than thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment