About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sunshine Cleaning

Sunshine Cleaning is a story about personal courage. It’s about standing up to the world and saying; my circumstances do not define me. It’s about putting on a game face, sucking it up, and making the best of things. But, sometimes life is just too much, and at that point, you must ask for help. Will your friends and family come to your rescue, or is that the role you always play? Sometimes it takes courage to ask for help.

Amy Adams plays a young single mother trying to do her best for herself and her family. She was bright and popular in High School, but now she is a hard working single mother trying to keep her square-peg of a son in school, her under-achieving sister in a job, and her harebrained father from ruining himself financially. She is desperate to better herself, but there are so many demands on her time that her life is a real struggle. One day, the man she is having an affair with, who happens to be a police officer, suggests that instead of cleaning houses, that she gets into the lucrative crime scene clean up business. Despite the gross out factor, she sees the financial incentive to this, and gamely dives in.

Amy Adams’ performance will melt your heart. She begins her new business in order to make big money, but she soon realizes that she is meeting people on what may be the darkest day of their lives. By showing a little compassion and removing the physical reminders of their tragedy, she is able to help them move on. Emily Blunt is equally moving as the little sister that has always been taken care of. The dynamics of their relationship evolve in the course of their business venture. Both actresses are phenomenal in their roles and are very believable as sisters. Adam Arkin is good, as usual, as their father, and the rest of the supporting cast is excellent as well. I believe you will enjoy this nice, quiet, little film for its emotional honesty, and it will also help satisfy your morbid curiosity involving crime scenes. You seldom see this side of things on CSI.

Rating: Second Run Not exciting enough to stand in a long line for, but definitely worth seeing (Oscar Bait)

No comments:

Post a Comment