About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, March 25, 2010

America Ferrera Channels Her Inner Viking

When America Ferrera started acting in community theatre at the age of eight in the San Fernando Valley, she probably had no idea that one day she’d grow up to become a role model. When she starred in Real Women Have Curves, she struck a blow for shapely women, and when she was cast as Ugly Betty, she made it cool to be yourself. Now in How To Train Your Dragon, America is making it okay to break stereotypes. In the film, America plays a blonde, aggressive, over-achieving Viking.

When producer Bonnie Arnold (Toy Story) was asked about the unusual casting she replied, “For us, it was really about what their voice was like. If they are good actors and the voice can really belay to you who the character is, that’s what it’s all about.” When America was asked if she could identify with her Viking alter-ego she said of course. “I don’t know how Scandinavian I made her since I come from the San Fernando Valley, the 818, but that’s what was so much fun about it. She wasn’t really me, or a version of me, she was her own thing. I got to be a small part of creating her.”

When asked about competing with boys she replied, “I was always the girl, when I was younger, who played baseball with the boys. I did not play Softball. I did not want to play Softball. I wanted nothing to do with it. I wanted to play baseball, with the guys, and I wanted to be as good as them. So, I think that I definitely related to Astrid.”

America says that she was very much a tomboy as a child, but for her there was more to it. “I really believe, as a kid, that we all want to be great in some way. Wanting to be not just a Viking, but the greatest Viking in the world.”

Since Astrid does not appear in the books, America was able to help create her over a three year period. She found that working with Jay Burachel (She’s Out of His League) really helped to define her role and she is grateful that directors Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders (Milo & Stitch) wanted to expand her character. When Dreamworks first approached her she immediately said yes. Working in animation has always been a dream. But the biggest part was, “Being such a small part, of a huge result.” America is very proud of this film.

How To Train Your Dragon opens March 26th.

No comments:

Post a Comment