About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Runaways

I love Rock and Roll, but somewhere in the late seventies and early eighties it lost me. The music changed, it became angry, hard, and as an individual, it stopped speaking for me. But growing up in the middle of that time you can’t help but being familiar with Joan Jett, The Runaways, and I Love Rock And Roll, that’s why I wanted to see the film.

In the early ‘80’s I was living in Los Angeles and my best friend, who looked a lot like Cherie Currie, got a job as a paid groupie. Not wanting to go alone she dragged me along and we were actually engaged to go to clubs and make a big fuss over a New Wave band called Lip Service. I myself wasn’t getting paid, but I had never been to a club before so I saw it as a great adventure. We would be sent to various nightspots around L.A., like Madam Wongs, Gazzari’s and the Whiskey A Go Go, and when the band played we were supposed to scream, shout, and act like they were the best new group on the planet. We were hired as insurance, so when the record companies showed up to take a look at the band, they would think that they were popular with the girls. But the band was actually good, and the guys were cute. We even got to do a photo shoot chasing them around on the Sunset Strip. I don’t think they ever got anywhere and I’ve always wondered what happened to them. Are they doing music now?

It’s hard for me to believe that I’m the same age as Joan Jett. Watching The Runaways brought back a lot of memories. But truth be told, I really didn’t enjoy the film, because for me, it was too melancholy and sad. I managed to stay away from drugs and alcohol in that era, but it was all around me. However, even sober, the Sunset Strip was a lot of fun. It was my first time on my own and I was experiencing freedom. It was a heady and exciting time.

Kristen Stewart (Twilight) was genuine as Joan Jett. She really caught the Rocker vibe and showed that underneath her lost girl persona was the authentic soul of a true musician. Dakota Fanning (New Moon) was heart wrenching as Cherie Currie; a little girl with rock star dreams. Plucked from obscurity, not for her talent, but for her look. The constant pressure to abandon her childhood and become the “lost daughter of Iggy Pop and Brigitte Bardot,” took its toll. I’m amazed that she made it out the other end and is still alive today. The film The Runaways is based on her book, Neon Angel: A Memoir of a Runway.

Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road) plays Kim Fowley the man who claims to have invented The Runaways. Apparently he’s still in the business walking the Sunset Strip with a cane. After my own personal experience promoting music, I believe that Michael Shannon’s portrayal is fairly accurate. For every talent found, there were a dozen people to capitalize on it. That dynamic is still going on today. Rock on!

Rating: Rent It A sober look at the first Rocker Girl band

1 comment:

  1. My most wanted movie I'd like to see on my wish list. Love the MTV video days of the early and mid-80's and I'm a bit of a history buff. Looking forward to the actresses performances, and Joan Jett's real influence on the film.

    ReplyDelete