About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Get Him to the Greek

“We are not amused.” My apologies to the people of Great Britain. Get Him to the Greek is insulting, vulgar, crass and the biggest sin of all, not funny. Russell Brand (Forgetting Sarah Marshall) may be fine in small doses, but his drug addled, egocentric, bad boy, rock persona is not enough to carry a film. His performance was all over the place and I couldn’t tell what he was trying to do. I spent the entire movie checking my watch, while the guy in front of me played with his phone. Not only did I not laugh in this movie, I can’t even remember smiling. The theatre was as quiet as a church.

Jonah Hill (Superbad) plays Aaron Green, a toady for a Gangsta Music Company. When his boss, Sergio, Sean P. Diddy Combs (Monster’s Ball) terrorizes all the staff to come up with a fresh idea to generate revenue, Aaron suggests having an anniversary concert for Aldous Snow (Brand) at the Greek Theatre. He is shot down and humiliated for his offering. But later when Sergio does his research and crunches the numbers, he discovers that the idea has merit. He green lights the concert and puts Aaron in charge of collecting the wayward rocker. He is warned, get him to the Greek on time or else. P.Diddy had only two levels in his repertoire, distain and berating others. He was like a cartoon character. I really disliked this film.

When Aaron reaches London to pick up Aldous Snow he is excited to meet one of his musical idols. But from the very beginning he is disrespected, disregarded and forced to abandon any scruples that he may have in order to cater to this self absorbed simple-minded man-child. He becomes so demoralized that he begins to wonder what he ever saw in his idol. This movie is not funny it is sad. If you like the idea of washed up rockers being resurrected for a last hurrah, see Still Crazy instead. Bill Nighy owns this character. He’ll show you what funny is.

Rating: Don’t Bother Rent Still Crazy instead, same idea, but funny

2 comments:

  1. My husband wanted to see this movie and I was going to go with him, even though I don't like Russell Brand. Thanks to your review (which I'll forward to my husband), we'll save $20+ and go see something better!
    I really enjoy your blog. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the warning. The trailers were the 1st warning sign.

    ReplyDelete