About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sex and the City 2

I don’t feel qualified to write about Sex and the City as a fan. I did not watch the show when it was on the air, and I’ve only seen two episodes in syndication. But as someone who is heavily involved with pop culture, I do recognize the characters and the contributions that they have made. In many ways these ladies are icons. The problem with being an icon is that people get so invested that it leads to disappointment. Nothing can compare with the image you have in your mind.

For Sex and the City 2, I gave into the whole girl’s night out experience. We were a party of eight and we started the evening with dinner and drinks and then headed over for an 8:00 show. The rest of the ladies in my party were fans, I was tagging along to get the whole Sex and the City experience. What I found to be the most interesting is that when the evening was over, I was the only one of the group who somewhat enjoyed the film. The rest of the girls were disappointed. 

Sex and the City 2 has our foursome traveling to Abu Dhabi. Although I believe that there is a thin line between being fashionable and wearing a costume, I was amused by seeing some of the outfits that the ladies wore. I even liked the flashback segments that showed how these women evolved their individual style. The clothes were fun, although often ridiculous, but I think the film missed a challenge here. In the desert scenes it would have been intriguing to see the gals rise to the occasion of finding a way of covering their bodies, while still displaying personal flair. Instead they chose to defy local custom in the name of women’s liberation. Where was the scene when they all get sunburned? Middle Eastern dress serves a practical function. It’s not all about keeping their women hidden. In the desert scenes all I could think about was Aloe Vera and freckling. These ladies should have been in pain.

As far as the sex scenes, Kim Cattrall came off looking very desperate. I’m sorry, but even in America her behavior would be outrageous. The film made it seem like the Middle Eastern couple was prudish by objecting to Samantha’s ostentatious flirting. But I must say that I probably would have been offended too. I don’t need to see that when I’ve paid good money to dine out with my husband. To quote the popular phrase,”Get a room.”

I thought that Miranda, Cynthia Nixon, was the most adventurous woman of the group. The memories of the day she planned would last a life time. In addition, she took the effort to learn about the culture and experience things that were unique to the region. Her practically allowed me to stomach some of the more self-indulgent things done by her companions. Conspicuous consumption is fine when someone else foots the bill. Would they act the same if they were paying?

Kristin Davis started the film with Charlotte being uptight and full of guilt for leaving her children, but of all the ladies, she kept her perspective. Her warning words to Carrie, Sarah Jessica Parker, were ignored and it almost cost her her marriage. How easy it is to forget what is important, especially away from home in an intoxicating land. She was right to think of her kids and family first. Family is the most important thing.

Although I thought that so much of this film was fanciful, vapid and irrelevant, I did recognize the central theme proclaiming the value of friendship. I also acknowledge that sometimes being decadent by proxy can being very satisfying in these restrictive times. But I don’t know if I appreciate the subject of women’s right being reduced to the right to wear fashion. I believe it is a more important topic than that.

I enjoyed Sex and the City as a fantasy romp showing beautiful clothes in an exotic locaation, but any feminist statements were left lying on the closet floor. As a lark, I say see it, but don’t expect much substance. And as far as being true to the show, I just don’t know. You’ll have to ask one of my disappointed friends.

Rating: Second Run A frivolous romp in the sand

1 comment:

  1. I went with my girl friend to see the first movie in the series after a perfect day at the beach; and, we saw the sequel together while vacationing.

    I had fun with it, even though never having seen any of the HBO episodes. Now if they can only give me some Soprano movies.

    ReplyDelete