About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Friday, June 18, 2010

Harlan – In the Shadow of “Jew Süss”

In the early 1930’s a young German actor was trying his hand at film directing. A student of Max Reinhardt, Veit Harlan became one of Germany’s leading filmmakers. Max Reinhardt, being a Jew, left Germany for America just in time and had a successful career in the United States. Harlan, who stayed in Germany, ended up making films for the Third Reich. His most notorious film, Jew Süss, was heavily dramatic and anti-Semitic. He spent the rest of his life defending his actions.
 
Harlan – In the Shadow of “Jew Süss” is a documentary tracing the career of Veit Harlan and his life after the fall of Germany. Acquitted twice, Harlan is the only artist that has ever been prosecuted for war crimes. By using home movies, film footage, and interviews of Harlan’s children and grandchildren, director Felix Moeller searches the soul of an artist who was placed in an impossible situation.
 
Stanley Kubrick was married to one of Harlan’s nieces and he often agonized over the idea of what he would of done in the same place. Shunned, criticized and publicly denounced, Harlan forever lived under the shadow of his most famous film. Artists all over the world are often forced to make ethical choices when living in a repressed and censored society. This film raises some very interesting questions and highlights a man who spent the rest of his life defending himself and his work. A must see for any student of film.

Rating: First Run A must see for any student of film
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment