About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bran Nue Dae

When I travel I like to buy things that are unique to that specific area such as handcrafts, local products or items found no where else in the world. When it comes to film, Bran Nue Dae is just like that. This film is so Australian that it could come from no where else on the planet. Bran Nue Dae is a romantic musical comedy celebrating the cultural pride of the aboriginal people. It stars Rocky McKenzie as Willie, a native boy who is sent off to boarding school to please his ultra-religious mother. The head priest, Geoffrey Rush (Shine) takes him under his wing but Willie doesn’t want to be a priest. He wants to embrace his aboriginal life and marry his girl Rosie.

At school Willie lets temptation get the best of him and he participates in the theft of some candy bars and Coca-cola. Rather than let another boy be punished for the deed, Willie stands up and takes responsibility. But when the priest makes a racist remark, he rebels and runs away. He is ashamed of his theft but cannot stay in a place where his people are not respected. He is determined to make it back home anyway he can.

What makes this film so unusual is that it frequently stops and tells its story through song including dancing school boys and tap-dancing priests. On the road Willie comes across an aboriginal relative and together they venture off to return to Broome. Along the way they encounter singing hippies, dancing foot-ballers, abusive policemen, a jolly prostitute and a horny shop keeper all while being chased by Father Benedictus. This film is so strange that I doubt you’ve ever seen anything like it.

Bran Nue Dae was based on a popular play in Australia and contains original songs and joyful musical numbers. I can’t imagine everyone liking it, but it is good-natured and a lot of fun. So if you are the adventurous type, give it a try. It is not often that you will find an aborigine romantic musical comedy. It is one of a kind.

Rating: Rent It A film like no other

No comments:

Post a Comment