About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

You Again

For years Disney has been cranking out family friendly films using the basic Disney formula and being fairly successful at it. But the problem with using the same recipe over and over, if you don’t add a little spice now and then it gets bland. With You Again, all the ingredients were available to make a really great film. You have Jamie Lee Curtis, Sigourney Weaver, Kristen Bell, a charming James Wolk, a dashing Victor Garber and even Betty White, yet this recipe, which should have been yummy, was flavorless. Although mildly amusing in parts, most of the time I was bored. I kept waiting for something to surprise me and it never did.
 
In You Again, Kristen Bell (When In Rome) plays Marni, a girl who with a torturous high school past. Shunned by popular society she was singled out for persecution by the head cheerleader J.J., Odette Yustman (Cloverfield) creating her most embarrassing high school moment and ruining the game winning shot made by her basketball star brother. Will, James Wolk (Lone Star) was furious with her for ruining the game, but when he heard about the abuse inflicted on her he offered her some advice, don’t let others define who you are. She took his advice, changed her outlook and became a successful businesswoman. But she also left home as fast as possible. Her memories of high school were truly painful.
 
It is now years later and Marni is returning home for her big brother’s wedding. He is marrying a beautiful girl named Joanna and the entire family loves her. Marni is very excited to meet this wonderful girl. But when she discovers that Joanna is really J.J her former high school tormentor, all her insecurities return. She is determined to let her brother know exactly who Johanna really is. The problem is that Joanna is now the perfect young lady and has won over her entire family. Once again, Marni is on the outside looking in.
 
Like a Disney channel kid-com, all kinds of twists and turns occur but none of them are very surprising and most of them are predictable. Jamie Leigh Curtis and Sigourney Weaver turn out to be old rivals so we are asked to laugh at their competitive antics. Kristen Bell is trying to expose the real Johanna, but her family is too self involved to notice or really hear her. Then when we discover the reasons behind all the poor behavior we are supposed to be touched and sympathetic over everyone’s misunderstandings and insecurities. Instead I felt that their actions were pathetic and ill conceived. Not a very good source for comedy.

Although I applaud anyone who makes family friendly films please don’t short change or underestimate your audience. We can take a little depth and even a little darkness now and then but parents really do care about the underlying messages. If I took a child to this film I would have to follow it up with myriad discussions on why their behavior was inappropriate and wrong. Apparently the women in this family have been letting envy and jealously get the better of them for generations. That is not a trait that I’d like to see passed on. In Marni’s generation she was the victim and not the perpetrator so now maybe the cycle can stop. I wish I could say the same about morally shallow family films. Disney, you can really do better.

Rating: Rent It The women in this film need a time out

No comments:

Post a Comment