About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Earth

We have become jaded when it comes to nature photography. Between National Geographic, the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet and the like, we have become accustomed to the marvels of nature because it is so easily available to us at home on our television sets. But, that has not always been the case. I remember as a young girl watching these types of films on The Wonderful World Of Disney on Sunday nights. The nature films themselves, started back on the big screen in the early fifties. Walt Disney, applying his genius to the art of nature photography, captured a seldom seen world and captivated the public at the same time. Winning multiple Oscars for his nature films, Walt Disney then re-aired these gems on his television show in the sixties for an entirely new audience. Now that trend is being reversed.

In 2007 the television mini-series, Planet Earth, was presented on television in several countries, and now two years later, Disney Nature has re-release this series in an edited down theatrical version. With the use of every new technological advance in photography, we are taken on a journey across the globe, following the plight of several animal families and through many challenging eco-systems.

I found this film to be very beautiful, peaceful, and relaxing. I went after a hard day at work and found this movie to be the perfect way to unwind. The narrative was less compelling then other nature films I’ve seen, and they kept the violence very sanitary. But, when I discovered that this version had been edited down, it made perfect sense. Perhaps the original version had a little more depth.

Disney Nature promises another film next year focusing on the wonders of the ocean. I, for one, am glad that Disney has made this commitment. I know of no better way to raise up another generation of environmentally sensitive children than through film and environmental education.


Rating: First Run Beautiful and compelling

No comments:

Post a Comment