About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Friday, May 8, 2009

Star Trek

After moving to Los Angeles, my mother came to visit me and we decided to be tourists and visit Hollywood Boulevard. We went to the Hollywood Entertainment Museum where they have the entire bridge of the Starship Enterprise preserved in the basement. In the same room they had a Star Trek video quiz, and after guessing on the first question, I proceeded to get the following answers right. When done, I turned to my mom and wailed, “It’s official mom, I’m a nerd.”


I loved Star Trek growing up. My father introduced me to Science Fiction short stories when I was young, so I was fascinated with how Science Fiction writers made social commentaries by disguising their point under the thin veil of Science Fiction. On the surface, Star Trek was just futuristic action with fun characters and interesting plot lines. But underneath, America was being asked to examine their views on race relations, sex, patriotism, consumerism and many other deep topics. Star Trek was fun, but it made you think as well. It deserves its place as a television classic.


I wasn’t too worried about the latest incarnation of Star Trek. I figured that if Star Trek could survive Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine, Enterprise and all the other variations, that there was little J.J. Abrams could do to kill it off. I was just hoping for something fun and entertaining. I wasn’t disappointed.


I loved Star Trek! The casting was great, the script was good, the special effects were awesome, and it was also funny. For me the mark of a good action-adventure film is the relationship between its characters, and the humor that prevails. The original series had lots of humor, so I was thrilled that it was present here. There were a few little things that made me raise an eyebrow, but I’ll save those to discuss with my fellow fans. After seeing the final product, I am very pleased, and I hope that J.J. Abrams does another. Since the entire cast is fairly young that possibility is totally in the stars. All I have to say to J.J. Abrams is well done, and do another please. As far as the cast, I say, live long and prosper.


Rating: Must See   Even if you are not a fan, you’ll enjoy this film

No comments:

Post a Comment