About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Saturday, September 5, 2009

All About Steve

Sandra Bullock has developed a comedic style where her misfit characters are slightly exaggerated, but so emotionally grounded, that in spite of her slapstick antics, we find ourselves caring for her. It is while we are laughing at her and with her, that she sneaks in little moral messages. And, when implemented correctly, we come out a little better and wiser in the end.

Sandy is very likable, and when matched with the proper co-star, she’s endearing. However, in All About Steve, she spends so much time chasing Bradley Cooper, a behavior I completely understand, that we never really see them together longer enough to see if their chemistry works.

This movie is not as emotionally satisfying as her last film, The Proposal. I found All About Steve to be less of a romantic comedy and more of a social satire. The film questions the integrity of our news media and asks the question, what’s normal? For me the culminating scene is when Thomas Hayden Church, playing a vain, glory seeking, news reporter, approaches a group of protesters who have now become well wishers and supporters of Mary, Sandra Bullock’s character. When one of the well wishers steps up to him, the well wisher points to the news media and all the chaos and frenzy that surrounds them. He then says, “That is what you created.” Then he indicates the crowd behind him holding a silent vigil and says, “This is what Mary created.”

Throughout the entire film the news media mocked the very people that they were exploiting. Without hitting us over the head, the movie asks us, which is crazier, the people making the signs and burning candles, while standing out all day showing their support, or the news media, who interviews, features them, and feigns mock sympathy?

Throughout all the laughter, this film gave me a lot to think about. I enjoyed the humor, but I appreciated the message as well. To quote Bradley Cooper’s imperative to Ms. Bullock, “Stay as you are, don’t change a bit.”

Rating: First Run I may be crazy, but I liked it

No comments:

Post a Comment