About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My One And Only

The fictionalized story of actor George Hamilton’s adolescence, My One And Only focuses on George Hamilton’s mother and the road trip that eventually ends them up in California. When Anne Devereaux returns home early and finds her band leader husband auditioning a new singer in their marital bed, she calls it quits, cleans out their safety deposit box, and heads off to Boston in search of a new husband.

Renee Zellweger as Anne Devereaux uses all her feminine charms as she visits old boyfriends, old acquaintances and even estranged relatives in hope of finding a better home for her two boys. As they move across country, she goes through one loser boyfriend after another, while her sons tire of the adventure and long to settle in one place.

Logan Lerman plays George Devereaux who grows up to become Hollywood’s George Hamilton. After witnessing a dramatization of his young life it is easy to see where he got his charm and flair for drama. Mr. Lerman captures the innocence of a young man of the time, while showing us glimpses of a star in the making. Mark Rendall is also good as George’s older half brother. It is his dreams of stardom that drive the family to California, only to discover that his talents lay elsewhere.

This film uses Renee Zellweger to great effect, as her Pollyannish attitude keeps her moving forward instead of slipping into lonely despair. After each failed attempt she begins to realize that her charms as a Southern Belle are waning. This film is interesting on two levels. It is a look into the psyche of a woman of the 50’s who is learning how to become independent and no longer rely on men, and also as a biographical look into the background of one of Hollywood’s memorable icons. This is a pleasant road trip, well worth the taking.

Rating: First Run A pleasant road trip into the past of George Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment