About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Final Destination

At first I wasn’t going to write a review for The Final Destination. I didn’t want to admit to anyone that I actually went to see the film. But if I am being honest, I’ve seen all four Final Destination films. I have a strange attraction to the macabre and I enjoy the creativity of the death sequences. The plots are very straight forward and do not vary at all. Each movie is exactly the same; a group of people cheats death by escaping a major accident because one of them has a premonition. Then they are picked off one by one in the same order they would have died. The films are simple, direct and titillating.

With Final Destination 4 they added a “the” in front of the title. This makes me wonder if this will be the final “Destination” film. But they also added another new thing to the series; this time they added 3D, which in my opinion was a big waste. I know that 3D is the big thing right now, but I really don’t think it added anything to the film. But since this movie has made lots of money at the box office, it is obvious to me it was a marketing decision, and not an artistic one.

I feel that this film is the weakest of the series and I wonder, if after 10 years, if the franchise is finally running out of steam. But if you look at the numbers, I could be wrong. A lot of people, including me, are still willing to go. These films are shot in Canada, with no stars, and the profits are huge. But hopefully next time, they’ll skip the 3D and just concentrate on creating some awesome, grisly deaths.

Rating: Bargain Matinee The theaters are charging more for 3D, balance it out by going to a matinee.

No comments:

Post a Comment