About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, September 17, 2009

White Out

White Out is a locked room mystery where a body is found in the snow of the Antarctic without any apparent idea of how it got there. US Marshall, Carrie Stetko, played by Kate Beckinsale, must find the solution before the last plane leaves, or the investigation team will be stuck in the dark for six months, without any means to escape.

When a second body is found, raising the Antarctic’s murder rate by 200%, a UN representative is sent to aid in the investigation. This mysterious officer, played by Gabriel Macht, is the only new comer to the South Pole, so his presence is considered mighty suspicious. A woman who already has trust issues, Officer Stetko must then decide whom to trust, while the real murderer is flushed out into the open.

What I liked about this film is how the environment added tension to an already tense situation. When a snowstorm becomes so thick that you can’t even see your own hand in front of your face, only a lifeline, and a carabiner, is keeping you from sudden death. The ice also adds another element to the mystery. When human survival is only a matter of minutes when left unprotected in the snow, how can a killer survive unless it is someone you already know?

On the light side of the situation, this movie makes living in an artic ice station look like one big party with drinking games, music, and bowling in the corridors. It looks like so much fun that you might even consider signing up. That is, until you see your first case of frostbite. That will sober you up real quick. But it also adds another element to the story line. What kind of person would willingly come to the most inhospitable place on earth, and what rewards are they hoping to find there?

Another thing that I liked about this film is that a man or a woman could have played Marshall Stetko. With the exception of a shower scene in the beginning of the film, not once was Kate Beckinsale asked to be gratuitous. She got to be a Marshall first and a woman second. As a woman myself I appreciate these details.

White Out is not the best thriller I’ve seen in ages, but it does entertain. The unusual location adds interest, and the performances are solid. So, if you are looking for a little diversion, grab a sweater and head out. This icy chiller will nicely fit the bill. And when you get home you can take a good hot shower to recover.

Rating: Second Run A nice, chilly, thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment