About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Goodbye Solo

My ancestors came to this country several hundred years ago to make a better life for themselves, but as Americans, we often forget that people are still making that journey everyday. Goodbye Solo tells the story of an African man from Senegal who is now working as a taxi driver in North Carolina and pursuing the American Dream. He is a positive man, a hardworking man and he loves to take care of other people. While in the United States he marries a sharp-tongued Hispanic woman and forms a tightly knit relationship with her daughter. The daughter is distressed over her mother’s constant haranguing, but Solo is unconcerned. He assures the little girl that he is not going anywhere and that he’ll always look out for her. He is an optimist and he has dreams. He is here to make a better life.

One day Solo (Souleymane Sy Savane) picks up a fare who tries to hire him to return on a specific date. The old man wants him to drive to Blowing Rock, a tourist attraction known for its severe cliff. Solo finds the request strange but after a heated exchange, he reluctantly agrees. The old man intrigues him and he comes to the conclusion that William (Red West) wants to kill himself. Solo, ever the optimist, interjects himself into William’s life and tries to discover the source of his depression. He believes that life is precious and William just needs a friend. Solo brings William into his life as he tries to decipher William’s. They form a friendship of sorts as Solo becomes William’s number one driver. In return William tutors Solo so he can pass a test to become a flight attendant. This is a story about reaching out to others and knowing when to ask for help. It is a warm story, beautifully acted and a reminder that we are not alone.

Rating: First Run Let Solo brighten your life

No comments:

Post a Comment