About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Shutter Island

There is a test used in psychology where a viewer is asked to look at a series of cards. The cards are are reproductions of shapes caused when ink is dropped between pieces of folded paper. The symmetrical ink blots create a random design and the subject is asked to state what they see. Using these answers and comparing them to others, the evaluator makes their psychological assessment. Shutter Island is an ink blot of a film.

Shutter Island may be one of those films you have to see twice to fully appreciate. In my viewing experience, I kept getting caught up in the test. Instead of just relaxing and going with the flow, I was mentally challenging everything, which took me completely out of the picture. This tendency ruined the film for me and makes me a very poor test subject.

I do, however, must point out that there are some excellent performances in this film. In my paranoid state I had the impression that everyone was smirking or laughing at my expense, but by the end of the film everything made sense. It did however, leave me questioning what I saw, making a second viewing advisable.

John Carroll Lynch (Fargo) starts us off in the film by introducing us to the island. He is the deputy warden here and you will follow protocol. He displays a mixture of no-nonsense authority while offering a glimmer of sympathy. His is a finely nuanced performance from an under-rated actor.

Ben Kingsley (Gandi) plays Dr. John Cawley. He is a benevolent man, but very passionate about his work. He will not let one man destroy what he is trying to achieve. Max Von Sydow (The Greatest Story Ever Told) is Dr. Jeremiah Naehring. His psychiatric position is less tolerant than Dr. Cawley. He has no problem with restraints, syringes or scalpels. Their methodologies and techniques are at odds with each other.

One of my favorite performances in the film comes from Jackie Earle Haley (Watchman) as one of the patients. His performance is so good he makes me want to kiss writer-director Todd Field (Little Children) for resurrecting the career of such a fine actor. He’s only in one scene but he leaves a big impression. What a wonderful match-up between him and DiCaprio.

Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic) plays Federal Marshall Teddy Daniels and Mark Ruffalo (We Don’t Live Here Anymore) is his partner. They have come to Shutter Island to investigate the disappearance of one of the patients. Since Shutter Island is a federal prison as well as a hospital for the criminally insane, they must operate under the warden’s jurisdiction (Ted Levine). This frustrates Marshall Daniels to no end, and impedes the investigation.

Another note worthy performance is by Michelle Williams (Wendy and Lucy) who plays Marshall Daniels’ deceased wife Delores. Daniels is still grieving over her loss and that combined with what he saw in Germany during the war, is taking an emotional toll. As one of the concentration camp liberators he has a real problem seeing people confined and can’t get over the atrocities he saw there. Add in the stress of the investigation and his dead wife starts haunting his dreams. Michelle Williams is both radiant and ethereal as her specter becomes apparent even in his waking moments. Marshall Daniels has his own mental-health issues.

I don’t want to give too much away so suffice it to say that Patricia Clarkson and Emily Mortimer are also exceptional in this film. All the performances in this movie are good. For me, my problem was with the story. But please don’t let my reaction keep you away. Like a Rorschach Test everyone is going to have a different experience. Some are going to see bats and some are going to see butterflies. It’s all in the interpretation. What will this movie say about you?

Rating: First Run What will you see?

No comments:

Post a Comment