About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Monday, February 15, 2010

Wolfman

Benicio Del Toro (The Usual Suspects) was born to play The Wolfman. His features cast such wonderful shadows and beneath his heavy brows are the eyes of a tortured soul. There’s humanity there, but also fear, a fear of the monster within.

Despite the perfection of Benicios’s presence, I grew impatient in the beginning of the film. The director Joe Johnston (Jurassic Park 3) seemed to be relying on camera tricks, fancy editing and pop-up images to create suspense. It made me feel like he was cheating. However, when Benicio finally becomes infected and the first full moon arrives, the film hits its stride and the result is extremely satisfying.

Emily Blunt (Young Victoria) plays Gwen Conliffe. She is engaged to Ben Talbot, Lawrence Talbot’s brother (Del Toro). When Ben goes missing after a string of grizzly murders, Gwen writes to Lawrence who is in nearby London and implores him to come home and join in the search.

Lawrence has not been home in fifteen years. Estranged from his father (Anthony Hopkins-Silence Of The Lambs) Lawrence has been in America and abroad traveling as a respected actor. But Gwen’s letter touches him and he regrets the time spent away from his brother. Going back to Blackmoor means facing his demons, but for his brother and Gwen, he does it.

Once again, Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London) is responsible for turning men into beasts. The werewolf effects are quite different from his American Werewolf nearly 30 years ago. It is amazing how special effect have changed. For me, the most glorious scene is when Benicio Del Toro turns within full view of an audience. The horror of their reactions were just as much fun as the transformation itself. It’s not like the old days when werewolves had to turn in the dark to hide what special effects could not achieve. Now technology allows us to watch the entire process. For me, this was quite fun and the best part of the film.

Rating: First Run Slow start, but nice finish

No comments:

Post a Comment