About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassess

I’m going to start off with the question foremost on everyone’s mind. Does The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnasses work with three actors subbing in for the prematurely deceased Heath Ledger? Well, the answer is yes, and no. It is an interesting question. If the film had been planned that way from the beginning, having different actors reflect myriad aspects of the character Tony, based on the interpretation of the women imagining him, Terry Gilliam, the director, may have come off looking quite brilliant. I really like the idea of Tony being a reflection of the women and how they view him. But since this was a patchwork solution and not an original concept, the performances are not equally weighted which causes a lot of comparing and contrasting. With Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell filling in, this is unavoidable. This comparison and other issues took me mentally out of the film, and prevented me, overall, from enjoying it.

The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnasses is such a strange film to begin with that it is asking us to suspend our belief. For example, we are expected to believe that a gaudy dilapidated circus wagon could drive through London without the police knowing their every whereabouts. This is London where surveillance cameras outnumber people. It also amazed me how they could find so many vacant lots to camp in un-harassed. London is a very congested city and there are not that many open places. Next, on top of that, there are the origin questions. Like how did Doctor Parnasses become a monk and when did he obtain the title of doctor? And why is his friend immortal, too? Did he also make a deal with the devil? There are a lot of unanswered story threads.

The devil played by Tom Waits is an interesting character. He enjoys playing games and seems to take particular pleasure in tormenting Christopher Plummer (Dr. Parnassess). Dr. Parnasses has a gambling problem and can’t seem to resist the temptation to place bets even when he knows the futility of the outcome. Risking the soul of his daughter, Lily Cole and the friendship of his companion Verne Troyer, he continues to make wagers with the desperation of an addict.

If you are going to enjoy this film at all you need to refrain from over analyzing it and just give in to the imagery. There are some fantastical elements in this film. Visually this movie is stunning. I especially enjoyed the costumes. They appeared to be a collection of garments acquired over a thousand years and barely kept functional with a needle and thread. I loved the blend of styles and their well-worn status. I also loved the fantasy sequences. Bizarre imagines, familiar, yet strange, and each one customized to the imaginer. The closest thing I can compare this movie to is the Seven Faces of Dr. Lao starring Tony Randal. In that film each person who looked in the mirror saw a reflection of who they are and were changed by it. But in Doctor Parnasses, the viewers are given a moral choice and those who choose poorly were quickly taken by the devil. Those who choose well, leave the Imaginarium fulfilled and happy.

Terry Gilliam is known for being outrageous, bizarre and quirky in his movies. I’m sorry that he was unable to complete his film as he first envisioned it. I admire him for finishing the film at all. It must have been a difficult process for him. But if you were to go into the movie without any preconceived notions would it be entertaining? The problem solving fascinated me, but I found the story itself less intriguing. Since the film did not receive a wide release, I had to travel far to see it. I did not regret the trip, but I was glad that it was a second run theatre. The discount on my movie ticket made up for the drive.

Rating: Second Run An imaginative film full of wild imagery

No comments:

Post a Comment