About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

17 Again

Being 17 Again is creepy. This new foray into the Trading Places genre just gave me the willies. When I saw Freaky Friday with Jodie Foster, back in 1976, it was a mother and daughter changing places in order to achieve a new understanding into each other’s lives. When I saw Big with Tom Hanks, in 1988, it was a boy, in a man’s body, viewing the world through a boy’s eyes, with a boy’s innocence. When women came after him, he reacted like a young boy would, awkward and unsure of himself. Even in 13 Going On 30, Jennifer Garner, was a young girl in the body of a woman, not totally aware of the effect she has on men. But in 17 Again, Zac Efron, plays a grown man in a teenage body, where the high school girls are aggressive, and even his own daughter makes a pass at him. Then when he tries to reconnect with his estranged wife, it is too tabloid when the chemistry between them is there, and it is only a little decorum that is keeping them apart.


I was completely uncomfortable throughout this entire film. Even the adults in this movie kept saying, “This is inappropriate.” Despite the creepiness of a father having to fight off the advances of his 17 year old daughter, you can take it one “Ick Factor” further when you add in the fact that Zac Efron is no teenager himself.


I cannot deny the charm of Zac Efron, and he did show some promise in this film. He may just have some acting chops after all. But, it’s time for him to hang up the youthful roles. I know Zac is ready to move on, let’s support him in that decision.


I really love Leslie Mann, and I won’t hold this picture against her. Matthew Perry is also a favorite of mine, but I don’t know what he saw in this script. His part could have been played by any one, perhaps someone who looked more like Zac, since this is his vehicle afterall. I can very easily see why the kids may like this film, but for anyone over 17, stay away. It is just too disturbing.


Rating: Don’t Bother  This film is just for the kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment