About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sugar

After going to the Dodgers, opening day, and seeing them trounce the Giants; I was primed and in the mood for a good baseball movie. So, I went to see Sugar. Sugar is a nice little drama delving into the world of Minor League baseball and the Major League farm system. What I learned is that if you are a young man living in the Dominican Republic, getting accepted into the Baseball Academy is like winning the Lottery. Once there, you must find a way to stand out, and draw attention, so that the scouts will notice you, and if you are good enough, you’ll be invited to the United States to play Minor League ball.

Getting into the United States is the goal of many young men in the Dominican Republic, because it means wealth and a way to provide for your family back home. If you make it into the Majors, then the possibilities are endless. The dreams and hopes of entire families may rely on the skills of one single, young man. The pressure is relentless.

In addition to the pressure to perform, many young men have to deal with language barriers and major cultural differences. In our story, Sugar is sent to Iowa and is set up on a farm with a well-meaning baseball crazed family. Their job is to host young ball players, keep them well fed and safe, and help them keep their minds upon baseball. But, no matter how considerate and well meaning a family is, miss-understandings will occur. A home is not home when the people you love are not there. Homesickness becomes a real problem. And, when struggling with performance issues, it's really hard to be so far away from your family and friends, especially when in the States, talking it out with someone is a problem.

I really liked Sugar. I found it a little slow, but through the film I gained such knowledge and empathy for what these young men go through. When you are successful, back home you become a hero. But if you wash out, get injured, or don’t make the cut, it’s really hard to go back. If you like sports, or any type of fish out of water story, I think you will enjoy this film. Newcomer, Algenis Perez Soto gives a very touching performance.

Rating: Second Run See this film and you’ll gain a new appreciation for ball players. English and Spanish with subtitles.

No comments:

Post a Comment