About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Is Anybody There?


A young boy, growing up in an old age home, has become obsessed with death. Living so close to those who are dying, he is intrigued with ghosts, the paranormal, and proving that there is life after death. He keeps a journal, and puts a tape recorder under the bed of anyone who looks like they might be leaving this world real soon. His parents are so busy struggling, trying to keep their business afloat that they have little time to notice his antics. He hates sharing his home with the elderly, especially when it means losing his own room, but since he must, it’s the perfect place to conduct his research.


Enter Michael Caine, as Clarence the magician. He is sent to Edward’s parent’s home by Social Services to replace the most recently departed, who’s death Edward has caught on tape. Edward, played by Bill Milner, was hoping to get his room back, but his parents need the additional rent, so Clarence now has the room. When Edward discovers that Clarence was once a magician, he ties to enlist him in his paranormal research and a bond between the two eventually forms.


The real magic in this film is the performance of Michael Caine. He brings his history with him so when we see the old, broken-down showman near the end of his life, we can still look into his eyes and see the great entertainer he once was. His melancholy, his grief, and his fits of rage are beautifully balanced with a touch of whimsy. This truly is a remarkable performance.


Rating: Second Run    Too morbid for most, I found the story intriguing 






No comments:

Post a Comment