About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Monday, April 27, 2009

Obsessed

I had just gotten home from a trip, unpacked all my stuff, put it away, did the laundry, and was in the mood for a nice popcorn flick, something simple to unwind to. Obsessed fit the bill perfectly. Obsessed is a thriller like the kind we used to get back in the Eighties, when Fatal Attraction and Jagged Edge were all the rage. Obsessed was actually a pleasant surprise. It is well-written, well-acted, and delivers exactly what it promises, thrills, and Beyonce kicking butt.


I was especially taken with Idris Elba. I thought he was new to me, but when I looked him up, I discovered that I have seen several of his films. I just didn’t recognize him with an American accent. Idris Elba is British and was seen in RocknRolla, Prom Night, and 28 Days Later. In this film he gets to play the lead, put upon husband Derek, the object of obsession. I love his strength and character in this film. He really sets the tone and makes this story line plausible. His deranged stalker is Lisa, played by television’s Ali Larter of Heroes fame. She is very good in this role, seductive, beautiful, and scary crazy. Then there is Beyonce, who plays Sharon.  This beautiful wife is adjusting to a new baby, a new home, and looking forward to returning to school. But, when she catches her husband in one lie, she loses all faith, until she finally receives a little dose of crazy herself.


I really liked this movie. I liked the restraint that the husband shows, trying to make sense of a insane situation. I also liked the pay-off, a cat-fight worth waiting for. It was fun seeing Beyonce in a non-singing role, and after this film, I never want to piss her off.


Rating: First Run   An excellent popcorn flick


No comments:

Post a Comment