About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Friday, October 30, 2009

Amelia

I flew in a glider once and I remember how peaceful and serene it was. The only sound was the wind, lapping at the window, trying to get in through the gaps. I felt so removed from the world, like nothing below was really there or mattered, and unfortunately that’s how I felt watching the movie Amelia; detached.

This movie, as beautiful and as detailed as it was, never really got off the ground. It lacked passion. I never was able to make a connection with Hilary Swank’s character and I felt more excitement about being in the air when Cherry Jones as Eleanor Roosevelt took her short flight. In this movie, Amelia’s attitude about flying came off more like an addiction, than a love or a passion. And I felt that the fear she portrayed during various aerial mishaps was strangely out of place.

For a woman who is the most famous female aviator in history and who inspired young girls all over the world, this Amelia showed us a reluctant wife and pitch woman. A woman who would do anything to keep herself in the air.

I really think this movie failed to capture the historical significance of Amelia Earhart and the way that America felt about her. She was a star among stars and even the most famous of the famous wanted to meet her. Yet the Amelia of the history books remained humble as she quietly made her strides for women’s rights and aviation in general. She was a handsome woman, but not a beautiful one, yet all the woman in the world wanted to be like her.

What I was missing in this film was the genesis of Amelia’s love of flying. Where did a girl from Kansas learn her love of airplanes? Also I was missing the romantic link between Amelia and her husband George Putnam (Richard Gere). Her romantic interest in Gene Vidal (Ewan McGregor) was easier to understand, he was a fellow flyer. But what was her interest in George? I can speculate about their relationship, but the film does not make it clear.

Overall I was disappointed in this film. I think that Amelia deserves better. Her life is so adventurous and rich with all her contributions that maybe someday a mini-series would fit the bill. In the meanwhile, she is better served in the history books.

Rating: Rent It This biopic never gets off the ground

No comments:

Post a Comment