About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Couples Retreat

I have some male movie going friends and when we go to an action movie I might hear things like, “That could never happen”, or “That’s scientifically impossible”. And then afterwards I hear them pick the movie apart thread by implausible thread. I’d shrug my shoulders and say, “Eh! It’s just a movie.” I didn’t care if it was far fetched as long as it was entertaining. But after seeing Couples Retreat, now I know how they feel. I recently started listing all the incredulous, ridiculous things that happened in this movie to a male associate of mine, and how certain things could never really happen, and then he just shrugged his shoulders and said, “Eh! I thought it was funny.” It’s a Mars verses Venus thing.

I did not enjoy Couples Retreat. Those ridiculous nagging things that took me completely out of the movie killed my sense of humor. There were some funny parts, but I couldn’t get past the logic, or lack of it. I also found some of the bickering painful. Watching couples argue and hurt each other is not my idea of fun. There may be some people out there who can identify with this film, but all it did for me was make me glad that I’m unattached. I’ll take the island resort, but hold the wild singles parties and the couple’s therapy. A single Margarita by the water will do.

Rating: Rent It Watch it at home with some Island Rum, it may go down better.

No comments:

Post a Comment