About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Damn United

Being an American, I knew absolutely nothing about Brian Clough prior to seeing this film, but I found his story fascinating. Brian Clough, along with his partner Peter Taylor is considered one of the greatest English football managers England has ever seen. Due to a social slight by Don Revie, reigning manager of the championship team Leeds United, Brian Clough became obsessed with breaking every record Don Revie ever achieved.

Clough was a charismatic, arrogant, yet brilliant manager, who along with his partner, Peter Taylor, took a last place Division Two team all the way to the finals and into Division One. This film shows the rise of this dynamic team and how a healthy ego was necessary to accomplish this monumental task. But it also shows us how hubris can bring a man down and threaten the very thing he strives for.

The Damn United is a poignant film that is just as much about friendship as it is about football. This film expertly captures European soccer of the late sixties and the early seventies and Michael Sheen is phenomenal as Brian Clough. My favorite scene is when he experiences one of his games from the confines of his basement office because he can’t bear to watch it in person. Only the sound of cheering and the shifting light from his windows lets us know that a game is going on. His face tell us the importance of this game and how his entire being has been invested to make his team successful. It is truly a mesmerizing performance.

Timothy Spall is also excellent as Brian Clough’s partner Peter Taylor. He shows us the heart of this man who operated in the shadows, but who was just as vital to this winning team as Clough himself. The chemistry between the two is believable and helps to explain the dynamics that existed between these two men.

The Damn United is a throughly enjoyable film and I highly recommend it. Even if you are not a soccer fan you’ll enjoy the intricate details of this movie; “Goal!”

Rating: First Run A winning look at a championship team

No comments:

Post a Comment