About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

This Is It

Twelve days ago before viewing Michael Jackson’s This Is It, I had the privilege of seeing some home movie footage of Fred Astaire practicing a dance number where he plays the drums and dances with some drumsticks. As I watched this brilliant man rehearsing the number over and over practicing the nuisances and perfecting the techniques necessary to throw a drumstick on the ground and have it bounce back into his hand, I felt like I got an insight into the man himself, and a rare glimpse of genius. I felt that way today watching Michael Jackson.

Before Michael Jackson’s death on June 25, 2009, he was preparing for a multi-media concert in London, having already sold out 50 dates. Not having performed in a decade, he wanted to thank his fans for remaining loyal and to give them an opportunity to see him live again. He also wanted to perform for his children, now that they were at an age to appreciate his craft. He wanted to share with them the music he loved, and allow them to see their daddy in a way they did not know. But Michael Jackson also had another reason for the concert. Michael had a message. He had deep concerns about the health of our planet and felt an urgency to get the message out. His message is in his music, and its impact is undeniable. His environmental plea is strong, and it is global. Who better to get the message out than International Pop Star, Michael Jackson?

During the rehearsal process, over 100 hours of footage was shot. The film was intended for Michael Jackson’s archives to document the creation of this concert. It was not intended for commercial use, but rather as a form of documentation. But what we see is a picture of a man’s creative insight; focused, determined, exact, yet always loving. We see him get frustrated, we see him tired, we see him vulnerable, yet he never turns that frustration onto other people. Instead he communicates what he is feeling and describes what he is trying to achieve. He treats everyone with respect in a very humble way. This Michael Jackson is a master communicator and a fabulous showman. After watching this film there will be absolutely no doubt as to his talent, his genius, or the legacy he has left behind. Michael Jackson deserves his title, King Of Pop.

When I learned about this film, coming so close after Michael’s death, I had my concerns. I grew up with Michael, we are the same age, and he has played a tremendous part in my life. Therefore I felt protective of his memory. I didn’t want any one to exploit him in death. But, after seeing this film, I now know that my fears were unfounded. Kenny Ortega has done a masterful job of editing the rehearsal footage and giving us our Michael the way we want to remember him. Kenny Ortega said he did the film for Michael’s fans. That so many people had tickets for his concert, over a million, that every time he met one, they would ask him what would the concert have been like? Kenny’s answer is in his film. It was created out of love, in love, and with love it should be received. I’m only sad that no one will ever get a chance to see the concert live. This Is It is the next best thing.

Rating: First Run A portrait of a genius

No comments:

Post a Comment