About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Coco Before Chanel

Occasionally I like to wear a tie with a vest or a jacket. When I do, sometimes a child will come up to me and ask me why I’m wearing a man’s tie. When they are bold enough to do so they quickly get a mini fashion lesson. For years designers have been adding masculine touches to women’s fashion.

Coco Chanel was born was in the 1880’s. She was obviously aware of the Gibson Girl look that was prevalent from the 1880’s to the 1900’s. This look, created by Charles Dana Gibson traveled from an artist’s rendition onto the fashion scene of Europe. Little masculine touches such as white collars, ties and straw hats made their way into the look, but the prominent feature was the s-curve silhouette achieved through a binding corset.

As shown in the film, Coco Before Chanel, Coco was dissatisfied with the restrictions of the corset. Women’s groups at the time were preaching that the corset was detrimental to women’s health. Better corsets were designed, but Coco did something even more amazing. She got rid of the corset altogether. By showing woman how free and comfortable they could be without corsets, she began by designing sportswear for women giving them flexibility and movement. Coco Chanel inspired the Flapper age where corsets were abandoned and women embraced their own natural figures.

Coco Before Chanel, shows us the transformation of a young abandoned girl and her orphanage taught sewing skills into the fashion maven of Paris. The film is slow moving and I have to admit I got impatient with its pace. It took forever to get to the fashion part and I was ready for that right away. The film is languid and beautiful to watch, but you have to be a speed reader to keep up with the french subtitles. The payoff is wonderful though. When we finally see Coco Chanel in her iconic form, she is truly stunning. What a truly gifted designer.

Audrey Tautou inhabits Coco Chanel and she is exquisite in the austere, simple, masculine fashions of her creation. To quote the french, she is, “Tres Elegant” and elegant also describes this film.

Rating: First Run An elegant look at the orgins of a gifted designer

No comments:

Post a Comment