About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Monday, December 28, 2009

Brothers

When you enter military service you are trained to survive. Your body is strengthened, your character is built, and you are educated in the ways of war. But no matter how much training you receive; you are still the same person underneath. A hard body and a tough demeanor will not help you in a prisoner of war camp. You must be mentally strong to get out alive. The same can be said of federal prison.

Brothers is the story of two men. They are very close. The oldest brother (Tobey Maguire) has always done the right thing. He was a star quarterback in high school, he married his cheerleader girlfriend, he has two lovely daughters, and he is currently serving his country as a Captain in the Marine Corps. The younger brother (Jake Gyllenhaal) is just out of prison. He’s a screw up, but his older brother still loves him. After picking him up from jail he brings him home to a disapproving father, a resentful sister-in-law and an accepting mother. But now that his brother is home, he must go back to his men in Iraq.

While Tommy is adjusting to life out of prison, the family receives news that Sam’s helicopter has crashed. Sam’s wife is devastated. Tommy is angry at his father for filling Sam’s head with all his duty and honor crap, but even though Sam’s wife can’t stand him, Tommy steps up and supports his brother’s family. Over time Sam’s wife (Natalie Portman) softens. Tommy is quickly maturing and is really making an effort. He becomes invaluable to the grieving family.

What the family doesn’t know is that Sam is still alive. He and the Marine that Sam saved from the crash have survived. They are now being held in the desert and tortured for information. It is now Sam’s turn to endure prison life. He is being subjected to the worst kind of psychological pressure. It is now time for him to prove his mettle.

Brothers displays some really exceptional acting, but I often felt like something was missing. This film is based on a successful Danish film and maybe something was lost in the translation. I recommend this movie for Tobey and Jake’s performances, but overall I wasn’t that impressed with the film. During this holiday season, I’d save it for a day when other films may be sold out.

Rating: Second Run Two exceptional performances by Jake and Tobey

1 comment:

  1. I thought this movies was the bomb - saw it twice in Iraq, and I'm watching the Lionsgate promotional DVD daily on my way back from Iraq.

    Great performances by Natalie Portman and Sam Shepard as well.

    Great ending.

    ReplyDelete