About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Princess And The Frog

There have been some very good animated films in the last decade, but a big part of me has always missed the luxurious rich cel animation produced by the Walt Disney Company. Hand drawn and inked in vibrant cool colors, I fell in love with films like Lady And The Tramp, 101 Dalmatians and my all time favorite The Jungle Book. Another reason I loved these films was the music. I had the entire score of The Jungle Book memorized and would perform it on command. I could also be found singing the songs from Lady And The Tramp and later The Lion King. However, by the time Toy Story came around and became so successful, I was afraid that hand-drawn animation would disappear for good. Luckily my fears were unfounded.

The Princess And The Frog has all the elements of a classic Disney animated film. A plucky heroine, a moral lesson, a devious villain, comic relief and a lot of heart. But I also loved the detailed romantic backgrounds. Like Mary Poppins and the gang I have always been tempted to step into the painting, relax and stay awhile. This film portrays New Orleans at it’s idealized best with its unique architecture, southern charm and local flavor. I left the film craving red beans and rice, a good pot of gumbo, and some of those wonderful looking pastries.

The Princess And The Frog also has given us for the first time an African-American heroine. I myself don’t think the kids will care much, they’ve grown up with Pocahontas, Mulan and Jasmine, and won’t notice the milestone. But there will be a lot of moms out there that will care deeply. I think this film will resonate the most with them. Tiana is a wonderful addition to the princess club. She is an excellent example of a hard-working, practical young woman with a very strong moral compass. I also liked that her childhood friend, the rich young lady that her mother worked for, was a true friend. Despite their differences economically and socially, Charlotte never forgot Tiana and when the time came she did the right thing. This for me was very refreshing.

There are a lot of silly stories out there but Disney always seems to layer their films with messages of self esteem, responsibility and family. This is why the Disney brand is so appealing. What parent would not want to instill those values in their child? This film tells us to go ahead and wish on that star, but be willing to work hard too. We may not always get what we want, but we will always get what we need. Love is the most important thing.

Rating: First Run A wonderful new Disney princess

No comments:

Post a Comment