About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Sherlock Holmes

The game is afoot, and Guy Ritchie’s Sherlock Holmes starts off at a sprint. As Robert Downey Jr. (Sherlock Holmes) races through the streets of Victorian London, he is one step ahead of the law. Careening behind him in a carriage, Dr. Watson (Jude Law) is with them as they furiously try to keep up. The score is rollicking, the editing is brisk, the action is fierce, this is not my father’s Sherlock Holmes.

Sherlock Holmes is the most reoccurring character is cinematic history. As early as 1909 Holmes as appeared in film. He is a complicated, brilliant, deductive personality who has influenced many other characters such as Hugh Laurie’s doctor on the television show House. In fact there is one scene in this film in which I felt like I was watching House with House and Wilson bickering back and forth. Like these two, Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law have excellent chemistry. Their connection is apparent and it is really easy to see how much they rely on each other.

As a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I wasn’t sure how I was going to adjust to this new incarnation. But I have to admit, I kind of liked it. Downey’s version of Holmes is a tormented man who is so brilliant and observant that he has trouble turning his mind off. When not engaged in a case he fills his days with reading, experiments and tormenting his housekeeper. He uses drugs for the occasional escape, but he is only truly happy when he is in the midst of a puzzle or a mystery. The arrogance and assurance that Downey brings to the role serves him well. I really enjoyed his interpretation and his choices are supported by the text.

Jude Law as Dr. Watson took a little more getting used to. It was hard for me to forget his predecessors, most memorably Nigel Bruce, the chubby, bumbling foil to Basil Rathbone’s Sherlock Holmes. Jude Law played his Dr. Watson as an ex-military man. He has a bit of a gambling problem and despite his protests, really enjoys the excitement that being with Homes brings. He is proper, distinguished and does want to marry, but Holmes is a selfish friend and keeps drawing him back into his escapades. Luckily for him, his future wife is an understanding woman.

Although some of the action was a little too CGI for my tastes, I really enjoyed the look of this film recreating England during its greatest age. This was a time when Briton ruled the world. It was a time of science, industry and advancement. It was also a time when a hand full of men controlled the fate of many. Mark Strong (Rocknrolla) made a formidable villain as he used fear and the media to manipulate others. Rachel McAdams (Wedding Crashers) plays Irene Adler, the only woman that ever impressed Sherlock Holmes. She is involved in the case as well, only Holmes is right not to trust her. The motivation of women is one mystery that Holmes stays clear from. He finds them too inscrutable and their reasoning too inconstant.

This film stands on its own but it also sets us up for future adventures. Dr. Moriarty is introduced but stays in the shadows and Dr. Watson is off to get married. But the look and tone of the film is set, the characters are solid and if the film does well, there’s sure to be another. I’d look forward to a little more detective work and an appearance of the Baker Street Irregulars. There is a real strong foundation here and I loved the score so much that I sat through the credits to enjoy it in its entirety. There is much to like here so I recommend that you give it a chance. And that’s an easy deduction to make, it’s elementary.


Rating: First Run Sherlock Holmes is back

No comments:

Post a Comment