About Me

My photo
My Reviewer's Philosophy: I believe that every film has its audience. One man’s Citizen Kane is another man’s Texas Chain Saw Massacre. My purpose is to help you spend your entertainment dollars wisely. A bad review never kept me from going to a film I wanted to see, but a good review will sometimes get me to a film I never considered. As a movie lover I want you to go to the movies. When more people go to the movies, the more movies get made. But, I also believe that if you enjoy the films you see, you naturally will be inclined to go more often. So join me in supporting our film industry by going to a movie today. Hopefully I can steer you towards a good one. See you at the movies. Melanie Wilson

Monday, December 21, 2009

A Single Man

Watching A Single Man is like going to a really good art museum. As you stroll down the halls gazing at finely com-positioned paintings, delicately crafted furnishings, intricately carved sculptures, you realize that underneath all the aesthetic beauty is depth, perception, and a fabulously moving backstory. I found A Single Man completely satisfying.

Each frame of this film was painstakingly set up, but without the soulful performance of Colin Firth it would not have had the resonance. You could leave off the narration and still follow the story because it was all said in Colin Firth’s face and eyes. Balancing the tone of the film between tragedy and humor, Colin never missed a step. He was expertly supported in his performance by Julianne Moore, a discarded wife who is drinking away her sorrows. Also in this film is Matthew Goode, playing Colin’s long time companion and Nicholas Hoult who portrays a very interested student. Every performance is finely directed to be substantial as well as visually pleasing. I really loved this film. Thank you Tom Ford for a superb first film.

Rating: Must See A beautiful first film by fashion designer Tom Ford and a wonderful performance by Colin Firth

No comments:

Post a Comment